But before we look at food, i wanted to share something else with you guys. I have decided to do the 30 before 30 project!..... so what is 30 before 30 you may ask? it is essentially making a list of the things you want to do before a set time period. it can be 30 before 30, 90 before 90, whatever!
This 30 before 30 thing all started when i was reading about love swah's homemade nutella (yes! recipe here!) and out of the corner of my eye (well not really, but figuratively speaking :P) i spotted her post on something similar. This inspired me to start a list of my own and hopefully tick off a few things before i turn 30. Re-reading through my list, some of the stuff may seem absurd but hey, if it doesn't make it on the list, you'll never even know what it felt like to dream about the impossible.
The list is at the bottom of the post, feel free to let me know of what you think of it. They are in no particular order, i simply just wrote them down as i things popped up in my head. But lets go to the food now!
i believe this was a clean the fridge friday lunch. a wrap consisting of cheese mushrooms, canned tuna, avo, baby spinach and mushrooms. one of my fav combos!
I'm branching out more in terms of flavours with my tangzhong bread making, this is the black sesame soy milk bread. tangzhong always gives a lovely texture so this recipe will feature a lot more in the near future.
A simple dinner (and lunch the next day) for 1. pasta with homemade pesto, mushrooms and bacon bits.
The only dessert my dad has ever requested from me and has gone back for thirds! a walnut and lotus seed coconut sweet soup.
i also tried out asian style pineapple bun (bor lor bao), but work is needed in terms of presnetation.
The japanese curry made an appearance with the cold cold rainy weather.....
along with lemon tarts with cinnamon sugar topping for dessert.
more buns. this time with a homemade chestnut paste.
A family favourite of claypot rice with dried asian meats.
also did a big batch of spring roll making. these had cabbage, chives, pork, carrot, onion, vermicelli and shittake mushrooms.
There was also the late night sweet tooth but CBB to do anything complicated night which resulted in a yellow split pea pudding.
and the green monday with a hidden vege rice noodle stir fry. there is capsicums, choko, carrot, onions and bean sprouts in this. i don't think my dad has ever eaten that much veges in one go.
Also had a few food gatherings with friends and one of the items that featured was the red curry fish balls and radishes. a simple firey dish that will make you forget the cold outside!
Then mum decided to hop off to a holiday with very little notice, so quick dinner dishes were made.
Also made some chocolate scones for good balance
and while i was waiting for bread to finish proving, i made some scones.....
and made some waffles complete with the works.
Then there was a weekend where i had the day off and i made it extra special with roast pork belly and epic crackling. I have never seen my parents fight over food, but this was an exception. oh and the roasted pumpkin was also delicious!
There was also a plethora of work morning tea and i turned up with a humble carrot cake made with 4 cups of carrots!
By the 6th day of the epic 10-day rain, no one wanted to cook and it was time to dig out everythign from the freezer. there were the spring rolls, some spring onion pancakes dating back 2 or so months, dumplings from prehistoric times and my take on Heston Blumantal's thrice cooked chips with rosemary and garlic oil.
Also attended a housewarming where Zumbo's V8 cake made an appearance. And i came in tow with miso glazed eggplants. I did not expect them to be popular so i left the place very happy!
Then there was a celebration at work where i got asked to make a cake. i ended up make a vanilla chiffon with a salted caramel infused cream, salvidori biscuits and fresh fruits.
As winters are freezing, a big pot of hidden veges soup was also made. this lasted me 3-4 days and the flavours were amazing by day 4!
So that is what has been happening in my kitchen in the past month or so, i am in the midst of getting a new induction cooktop and oven so there hasn't been much cooking happening lately. and yes there is a gaping hole between my kitchen cabinets.
30 before 30
- Sky diving
- Bungee jumping
- Travel the world (currently on the radar include Europe, America, Vietnam/laos/Cambodia and Korea, Maldives (I’ll even settle for Fiji))
- Get a motorcycle license and ride a motorcycle ( not much luck convincing my parents yet)
- Shopping spree splurge, buy an luxury item that I don’t need, just to check it off the list!
- Convert my front garden into my own fruit and veggie patch
- Continue to improve my baking skills. Especially my atrocious piping skills!
- Have a onsies costume party before I get too old
- Get something published somewhere, be it a newspaper article or journal (PHD perhaps? Who am I kidding?)
- Learn more about wine and coffee
- Learn how to change a flat tyre (been on my list forever, but haven’t needed that skill just yet)
- Ride an elephant
- Go camping, in a tent.
- Swim with dolphins ( thought about crazy things like sharks, but id freak out)
- Hot air balloon ride
- Watch a meteor shower somewhere
- Have a cake stall/market stand of my own be it a weekend thing of pop up.
- Get my dream job ( still working out my directions atm, but definitely something health-related)
- Continue to improve my fitness, perhaps learn a sport properly for once.
- Explore the rest of Australia ( have only visited the east coast)
- Pay off my extensive HECs and HELP debt
- Buy a house and work towards my dream home
- Learn to forgive myself and stop dwelling in the past.
- Cook a 5 course dinner for my closest and dearests complete with candlelight and white tablecloths etc
- Learn to dance, ballroom? Jazz? (I have no co-ordination what so ever.)
- Learn to be independent, to love myself.
- Fly a kite
- Abolish my bad habit of biting off and cutting split ends!
- Fall in love with someone wildly inappropriate
Till next time,